How to Layer Clothes For Winter
Do you find yourself during the winter months putting aside your nice tops and dresses and opting only for the same few woolly jumpers on an endless cycle? Make this cold-season styling rut a thing of the past by learning how to layer clothes for winter like a pro!
Layering clothes for winter can be both stylish and practical, and here at Kit and Kaboodal, we’re going to show you how! Read on for our top styling tips for staying warm this season.
How To Dress In Layers
When it comes to layers, it’s not simply a case of throwing on T-shirt after T-shirt; there’s a particular system to layering your clothes for winter which will help to keep you warm. Here’s how to layer clothes for winter to keep both snug and stylish.
- Firstly there’s your base layer. This is a fitted item of clothing such as a T-shirt which helps to trap in your body heat whilst removing any moisture which may make you cold.
- Secondly, we have the inner layer. This tends to be a T-shirt or a long-sleeved T-shirt (the base and inner layer can interchange depending on how you feel). The main role of the inner layer is to insulate your body as well as help to remove any moisture from the base layer.
- Finally, there’s the outer layer. This is a baggy item of clothing such as a jumper which helps the airflow between your layers, warming you up but also cooling you down if you get too hot. Having a loose-fitting outer layer also help you move freely.
6 Top Tips for Layering in Winter
When it comes to layering clothes for winter, there are a few key hacks to remember when you get dressed. Try these tips for keeping super cosy as well as chic.
- Wear tights under jeans
This clever trick is essential when it comes to layering for winter! Denim can feel cold and very unappealing to wear on a freezing day, but when a pair of joggers just won’t do, slipping on a pair of tights before your jeans will make all the difference. Not only will you be warmer, but you’ll be comfier too.
- Wear leggings under long dresses
Similarly, another great tip is to wear leggings under long dresses and skirts. While you might only need a pair of thin tights or even bare legs in summer, opt for leggings under your dress in winter and you’ll be cosy warm and comfortable! With a long dress or skirt, no one will be able to tell, so the thicker the better!
- Tuck skinny jeans into boots
When it’s really cold outside, save your ankles from the chill by tucking your skinny jeans into knee-length boots. You can wear your fluffiest pair of socks and no one will know!
- Layer fine knits under thick knits
When it comes to layering clothes for winter, two jumpers are better than one! Opt for a fine knit jumper or a classic turtle neck that you can wear over a chunkier knit and you’ll stay cosy and warm.
- Stay snug with a scarf
Scarves are one of our favourite styling tips for staying warm because they not only keep you snug but also act as a great accessory. They’re often the perfect way to add a pop of colour or pattern to the typically dark hues of autumn/winter.
- Choose cosy fabrics
The fabrics you choose for your winter layers can make or break your outfit. Some materials are much better suited to fighting the chill than others. Layering clothes for winter is all about thick, cosy fabrics.
Save the denim jacket or light cotton layers for spring and summer and opt instead for thicker fabrics like velvet, leather and corduroy. Think teddy coats, fleecy jackets and warm wool jumpers!
Here at Kit and Kaboodal, we have all the options you need to layer up this winter. Browse our wide selection of cosy coats and jackets, warm knitwear, sweatshirts and tops to find stylish new picks for your winter wardrobe.